Oil Shale Companies Working in Jordan
Oil Shale Sector
Companies signed Concession agreements for the exploitation of oil shale:
The companies work was monitored in implementing their contractual obligations in the concession agreements, namely:
- JOSCO Company owned by Shell Company in its project for processing deep oil shale, and the size of expected investment is approximately 20 billion US dollars. It was issued as a law in 2009. The company is preparing for the implementation of field experiment and the use of its own technology in Jordan.The company completed the first phase of its plan for the project and relinquished a part of the concession area,but it retained an area of 15000 square kilometers of exploration for more studies before taking a final decision in the area where the project will be implemented
- JOSE Company (owned by the Estonian Company Enefit / Malay / Jordan) in its project for the retorting of oil shale by surface mining and the size of the expected investment is approximately 6 billion US dollars, which was issued by a special law in 2010. The company is implementing the annual program for pre-development of the four years consecutively.
- Karak International Oil Company “KIO” in its project for the retorting of oil shale by surface mining and the size of the expected investment is approximately 1. 9 billion US dollars, which issued by a special law in 2011. A memorandum of understanding was signed with the company to give it additional new area in Na’dyya area to supplement the amount of raw stock required for the company’s expansion plan to raise production capacity to 50,000 barrels per day. The company is implementing the annual program for pre-development.
- SACOS Company (Saudi Arabian Company for oil shale) owned by a Saudi investor in the project for the retorting of oil shale by surface mining and the size of the expected investment is approximately 1. 8 billion US dollars, which was issued by a special law in April, 2014. The company has implemented the required actions in the concession agreement.
Companies signed memorandum of understanding for the exploitation of oil shale:
The companies are monitored in the implementation of their contractual obligations in the memorandum of understanding, namely:
- Al-Qamer for Energy & Infrastructure has signed Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) with Ministry of Energy & Mineral Resources , Govt of Jordanon 11th Nov 2014 to produce Shale Oil and Electricity. Al Qamer has an oil shale project for Shale Oil and Power is in central of Jordan namely “Attarat” with reserve of more than 1 billion ton of oil shale to produce synthetic crude oil using Russian technology and generate power from oil shale.
- Canadian Investment Company GOSH, the size of the investment is approximately 3. 5 billion US dollars for the exploitation of crude in Attarat area and Sphere Al – Mahatta by using the amended Brazilian technology.
- APCO company for oil shale (Aljonoub Company for oil shale) owned by the armed forces and the Marvol Management Company for the exploitation of in Na’dyya area using Russian technology.
- Whitehorn Canadian company, the size of investment is nearly 1. 35 billion dollars, for the exploitation of oil shale in Wadi Abu Hamam area using the Incapsule technology for the production of 50,000 barrels per day.
- JOSECO company (National Company for the production of oil and energy from the Jordanian oil shale), it is a national company and the size of investment is approximately 2. 2 billion dollars for the exploitation of oil shale in the Sultani area using Russian technology.
- Fushun Mining Group of China,a memorandum of understanding was signed in March 2014 for the exploitation of oil shale in Na’dyya area using the company’s Chinese technology.
- Questerre Energy Canadian company, a Canadian company to exploit oil shale in Al jafer and Isfir Al Mahatta areas using the Incapsule technology, signed a memorandum of understanding in May, 2015.
Direct combustion to produce electricity Projects
Attarat Energy Company (Estonian / Malaysian / Jordan):
Oil shale direct combustion agreements were signed with Al Attartat Power Company/ the Estonian/ Malaysian /Jordanian company, with a capacity of 470 MW in October 2014,on the basis of the electricity tariff sold to the government from the company at the value of 95 fils per kilowatt.
Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources and the National Electricity Power Company expect that the company will reach the financial close at the end of the current year knowing that the financial investment expected for the project is estimated at 1. 9 billion US dollars.
Al Lajjun company for investment in shale and natural resources and their derivatives; it is a Jordanian company signed a memorandum of understanding to exploit oil shale in Attarat area and Al Lajjun using Russian technology. The company submitted the economic feasibility study for its project for the production of 30 000 barrels per day and the various stages of production.
The company is giving priority to investigate using the resource in direct combustion project to produce electricity , undergoing discussion with the government and NEPCO in this regards.